Questionable behaviour and unethical decisions can lead to a slew of consequences, including negative media attention, legal repercussions, or both. Professional missteps can result in business losses, proxy challenges and adverse employee experiences. For these reasons, you need to be equipped with a new set of tools that can help you recognize and resolve ethical dilemmas so that you and your organization can thrive.
CPA Ontario has gathered highly respected speakers that will aim to give you the insights and resources you need to make ethical and beneficial decisions. From TEDx to investigative journalism, to people who have experience in the trenches of ethics practices, this conference is programmed with your success in mind.
Opening Keynote Highlights
Vince Brewton, director of the Potential Project, has helped more than 600 organizations adopt new ways of leading and working by using innovative neuroscience-based techniques. He will help you see you can use long-term mindfulness practice to drive better business results while taking care of the people in your organization.
Closing Keynote Highlights
Don’t miss your chance to see investigative journalism legend Bob Woodward in conversation with Amber Kumar of BNN Bloomerg’s Money Market. Hear about how he worked with classified documents, internal memos, and hundreds of hours of recorded interviews with key bureaucratic players, including the presidents. In an age of 24-hour news, social media, and political unrest, hear what was ethically going on in the halls US government from the reporter who uncovered the famous Watergate scandal of 1973.
Please log into your account to view the $50 off Sale. Act fast the sale ends December 6th, 2023.
|8:30 – 9:00 a.m.
|9:00 – 9:10 a.m.
||CPA Ontario representative welcome: Janet Gillies, EVP, Regulatory & Standards
|9:10 – 9:15 a.m.
||Host Opening Remarks: Amber Kanwar, Anchor and Reporter at Business News Network
|9:15 a.m. – 10:15 a.m.
Opening Keynote: Vince Brewerton, Country Director, Potential Project International
Topic: Cultivating Awareness – The Superpower of Finance Professionals
As finance professionals, how do you make the judgements that are so important to your clients and colleagues? By being aware. Aware of risk, of possible bias, of others’ behaviours, of many factors. In today’s hectic, stressful, ever-changing business environment, this superpower is more important than ever. This practical, inspiring, and entertaining session will expand your understanding of the importance of awareness and introduce you to science-based, actionable tools and strategies you can use to strengthen it and enhance your professional practice.
- Participate in an awareness assessment and see how you stack up against other CPAs and finance professionals
- An introductory training practice that will help you to strengthen awareness.
- Learn powerful, science-based, actionable tools and strategies to cultivate awareness that can be implemented immediately
- Gain a deeper understanding of how awareness is a crucial capacity of the mind and how you can enhance your professional practice and client relationships through developing this superpower
|10:15 – 10:25 a.m.
|10:25 – 10:55 a.m.
Session #1: Morgan Hamel, President MH Partners Inc.
Topic: Leveraging Moral Leadership to Increase ESG Integrity
In this session, TEDx speaker Morgan Hamel will assert that we have entered a new era of ESG activism (not only from investors but also from customers and employees) that many leaders and businesses find themselves ill-equipped to navigate. Key to navigating this challenge, she argues, is adopting a nuanced approach to ethics involving greater moral humility on the part of leaders and employees, and using “both/and” thinking to resolve what can sometimes feel like irreconcilable purpose/profit tensions.
- An understanding the role behavioural ethics plays in (often inadvertent) ESG-washing
- Practical suggestions for increasing the integrity of ESG reporting/communication
- An understanding of how to use “both/and thinking” to resolve ESG paradoxes
|10:55 – 11:05 a.m.
|11:05 – 11:35 a.m.
Session #2: Mark Tassé, MBA, FCPA, FCA, CFF, Strategic Advisor to CEOs and Boards at Public Safety Canada
Topic: Understanding Anxiety in the Professional Context
The session will allow professionals to understand how to handle the anxiety that comes with doing the right thing when it may affect business results or performance negatively.
- Introduction to anxiety, stress, and their manifestations in a professional setting
- Impact of professional decisions on emotional and mental well-being
- The connection between ethics, business decisions, and stress levels
|11:35 – 11:45 a.m.
|11:45 a.m. – 12:15 p.m.
Session #3: Roni Jackson, Co-founder of Red Flag Mania
Topic: True Stories of Ethical Dilemmas in the Workplace
Ethical dilemmas in the workplace are normal and unavoidable. Yet, awareness of what is an ethical dilemma and how individuals morally reason their actions involves several factors, and some of them are personal. This workshop will explore what matters and how to do the right thing for stakeholders through true stories of fraud and abuse.
- Understand ethical decision-making factors, including personal values, organizational culture, and legal requirements
- Identify what matters to different stakeholders when making ethical decisions
- Apply strategies for doing the right thing for stakeholders, even in difficult situations.
|12:15 – 1:00 p.m.
||Lunch & Networking
|1:00 – 1:30 p.m.
Session #4: Julie Segal, Senior Manager, Climate Finance, Environmental Defence
Topic: Business Ethics in the Time of Climate Change
Attend this session to hear pertinent information from Julie’s award-winning paper, the first prize winner in the Ethics & Trust in Finance Global Prize, an ethics competition sponsored by CPA global and the OECD.
- The growing need for businesses to consider their social and environmental impacts
- How mitigating climate change is ethically important and is essential for business success and economic stability
- The evolving rules related to social and environmental impacts that affect Ontario CPAs
|1:30 – 1:40 p.m.
|1:40 - 2:40 p.m.
Closing Keynote: Bob Woodward
Topic: A Conversation with Bob Woodward, American Investigative Journalist
In this discussion on ethics within the business world, expect to hear captivating stories that are sometimes surprising, at times shocking, and always fascinating. Woodward blends current affairs with stories from the past for historical context. He also assesses the role of the media and how well it is (or isn’t) doing its job.
Bob Woodward has won nearly every American journalism award there is including two Pulitzers, and is currently associate editor for The Washington Post where he’s worked since 1971.
- Firsthand insights from the White House, the Supreme Court, the CIA, the Pentagon, and the Congress
- The successes and messes of the presidents he’s covered
- Lessons about governing; presidential leadership during economic, military, and national crises; the expanding powers of the presidency; and the role of the media
|2:40 - 3:00 p.m.
||Closing Remarks - Host: Amber Kanwar, Anchor and Reporter at Business News Network
|3:00 – 4:00 p.m.